“Global warming”, “climate change”, “save the earth ‘’, “carbon dioxide emissions”, “temperature warming”, “Renewable energy”, “Non-renewable energy”. These are the common words which we hear nowadays and it’s of uttermost care and high time that we should act on it and protect our earth. These are directly or indirectly related to energy consumption. We should save energy, for making a world a better place to live in.
So, what’s actually is energy conservation and why is it so important. By the name “Energy conservation”, our primary focus would be on saving electricity, just by switching off the fans and lights, when it’s not in use. Is switching off only means energy conservation?? Absolutely the answer is big “No”. It is much more than saving electricity. Isn’t it rattling everyone that what can it be? Let’s get an insight into this topic.
Energy conservation is an effort made to reduce the consumption of energy by using less of an energy service. Energy conservation reduces the need for energy services and can result in increased environmental quality, and lowers energy cost by preventing future resource Depletion.
Some of the basic ways to conserve energy are switching off lights and appliances, when not in use, switching to energy-saving a LED, understanding and improving home energy use. Fossils contribute to the greater standard of energy consumption. Let’s take an example, in our country. We use mainly coal for energy or electricity generation. Since coal is easily available due to the number of mines in our country, it’s very cheap and affordable. It’s the cost is 1.20 rupees for 1000 kcal. But it’s drawback are gruesome. Thermal power generation is obtained from coal and it’s really a threat to sustainability, hence we should avoid the use of coal, as much as possible. For producing 3,70,000 electricity from the thermal power plant, we use 1200 tonnes of coal per day, 98000 metric cube water per day, furnace oil 101-meter cube /day and also supply electricity 80mw. Such huge consumption and carbon dioxide are produced 30,000 tonnes per day and sulphur dioxide, Nitrogen dioxide gases 680 tonnes per day to cause global warming.
Such a huge amount of water we are giving as input and carbon dioxide, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide gases as an output along with electricity. Is n’t serious? We should use non-renewable energy sources like water ( hydroelectric), wind energy, and solar energy. We should try to minimize its use and provide innovations and solutions to advance and develop it. These sources are eco friendly And don’t release toxic gases. Recently Adani group has got the world’s biggest solar contract for optimizing and using solar energy as much as possible. We all should try to use non-renewable energy sources to the full extent.
Saving Water is a crucial step in Energy conservation. By using less water, we don’t need to treat and pump so much water, so less money to be spent on energy, chemicals, and on additional reservoirs or boreholes. Reducing the amount of energy used in the pumping of water reduces carbon dioxide emissions which contributes to Greenhouse gases, and leads to climate change. Conserving water is Mandatory Because it keeps water pure and clean While protecting the environment. We can even Prevent water pollution, groundwater depletion, etc.
Let’s see more insight into the importance of water conservation.
- Without freshwater, we’ll just die in just a few days. Why should we be complacent to see, oils and fertilizer, oils, and other pollutants? Will we like to eat a fish with some weed killer marinade, or drink water with a nice motor oil sheen on top.
- By using less water, be actually save money in our pocket. We are able to save 1000 gallons of water.
- Protecting our natural ecosystem from further damage is critical, Ek especially for the survival of some endangered species. The oceans, streams, and lakes are the lifeblood of many species. The great Pacific garbage patch is a great example of the worst side
- Conserving water can also save energy. In order to pump the water from a central facility into a home or office, energy is required to run it.
Industries and factories use many energy sources for natural gas, petroleum such as distillate and residual fuel oil and hydrocarbon gas liquids (HGL), Residues from papermaking, agriculture. It uses fossil fuels and renewable sources for heat industrial processes, Boiler fuel to generate steam or hot water for process heating, feedstocks ( raw materials) to make products such as plastics and chemicals. for industries to minimize the energy and maximize the product, it should have an efficient energy auditor to deal with it. The government must encourage energy tax. Tax makes energy more expensive which encourages people to use less energy.
Transportation too requires energy conservation. Gasoline is used in cars, motorcycles. Aviation gasoline is used in many types of airplanes, residual fuel oils in ships, CNG, LNG in buses. Propane is also used in vehicles. For preventing carbon dioxide emissions, the majority of the automobile industry is making electric systems. But there’s a drawback for airplanes. It is very difficult to obtain electric airplanes cause it consumes a lot of energy during take-off and landing. And it is almost difficult to achieve such energies from rechargeable batteries.
Some of the innovative ways which have been discovered so far are:-
- Deeper plant roots for fighting climate changes. Deep roots for crops which can help plan trap carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, better use of nitrogen, and improve soil quality.
- Fabric wind blades GE one of the worlds leading makers gigantic wind turbines it’s trying to see if the company can make spinning blades out of fabric, which reduces transportation cost and is lighter, unlike fiber glasses which is opposite to it.
- Robots and drones for better plant breeding.
- Microbes that can turn Methane into fuel.
- Incredible batteries, like which are made from magnesium, batteries using air as the main ingredient, batteries using solid polymer, is cheap and affordable and can make more power.
- Tidal is also turning as renewable energy, recent advancements in technology, tidal power starting to gain Recognition As one of the future’s most promising renewable energy. Sea urchin, It’s one such company In Australia.
- Carbon capture technology is increasing rapidly. In Canada, Saskpower is one of the world’s first and largest full producers.
- Hydrogen fuel cells application is also increasing rapidly with key areas like direct ignition engines, fuel cells assisted electric vehicles, use of hybrid electric vehicles, applications of lightweight materials.
Another way to conserve energy is by maximizing Geothermal power plant. The earth’s crust is a rich source of energy and fossil fuels. Thermal energy or heat is stored deep inside the earth. This is a renewable resource and can be produced over and over again for years to come since the earth has an abundant amount of energy stored inside it, therefore, it will not disrupt the ecological balance of our planet.
Energy conservation day is observed on 14 December, to raise awareness about energy conservation, using the energy efficiently and save the world.
Let’s all take the pledge to save energy and save the World.